A few weeks ago I sent email to Jerry R. Mapes asking if I could include his cleaned up Spinward Marches data in my site. He granted permission, with a warning that there was additional cleanup to do and that his failing health precluded spending time on it, but that he was optimistic for the future. Sadly, reality intervened, and Jerry passed away a few days ago. (
I've taken his SM 1105 file and made some further corrections by comparing it with other extant data files to turn up anomalies, and set the allegiances to Post-5FW which match the borders on my map.
Here are the specific changes:
- 0605 name "Algeblaster" --> "Algebaster" (per S3:SM, RSB) - this is consistently mis-typed in SEC files, but is consistently "Algebaster" in print.
- 3228 name "Fen's Gren" --> "Fenl's Gren" (per S3:SM text) - the alternate "Fen's Gren" name appears on the S3 map and in SMC and RSB. I have no particular attachment, but I saw no big reason to deviate from S3:SM
- 2125 pbg "725" --> "723" (per RSB) - probably just a typo
- 2519 name "Plannet" --> "Pannet" (per S3:SM, RSB) - another consistently mis-typed name in SEC files, but consistently "Pannet" in print
- 0234 name "Andory" --> "Andor" (per SMC, RSB) - this is contraversial. In S3:SM this "Andory" in both the data and map but later sources use "Andor". As this is a fairly well-known world (one of the few multi-world Droyne states in Charted Space) I kept "Andor".
- 1110,1209,1210,1311 alleg --> "Fa" - the Federation of Arden worlds, post-5FW
- 1324,1325,1522,1523,1524,1525,1526,1529,1626,1627,1628 alleg --> "Bw" - the Border Worlds, post-5FW
- 0236,0336 alleg "Im" --> "Dr" - S3:SM left these as Imperial, but later sources annotate these as trade code "Dw" (Droyne world) or allegiance "Dr" (Droyne). Again, since these are Significant in Charted Space, I decided to make them stand out on the map.